2 Corinthians 12 · a question people ask

"For when I am weak, then am I strong." (12:10). How can both be true?

In the text

The chapter gives its own words for it. After "He has said to me" (12:9), it quotes the words "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." (12:9), and it goes on, "Most gladly therefore I will rather glory in my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may rest on me." (12:9). Then: "Therefore I take pleasure in weaknesses, in injuries, in necessities, in persecutions, and in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then am I strong." (12:10). These notes say no more of how than these verses do, and apply them to no one's own weakness, illness or prayers.

The verses

“He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Most gladly therefore I will rather glory in my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may rest on me. Therefore I take pleasure in weaknesses, in injuries, in necessities, in persecutions, and in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then am I strong.”
2 Corinthians 12:9-10 · World English Bible

From Favor's study of 2 Corinthians 12

2 Corinthians 12: When I am weak

2 Corinthians 12 will boast on behalf of a man in Christ, but on its own behalf, "I will not boast, except in my weaknesses." (12:5). And it says, "For when I am weak, then am I strong." (12:10).

In Favor, questions like this come up right where they arise as you read, with the Hebrew and Greek behind the words and how the chapter leads to Jesus.

First week free, then $10 a month per person

More questions about 2 Corinthians 12

All questions about 2 Corinthians →

Did we miss something?

We're a small team, and we can make mistakes. If something here looks wrong or unclear, tell us and we'll check it against the text.

Tell us

The best way to learn the Bible

Favor opens up every chapter as you read.

Favor is a Bible study app for your phone or computer. It takes you through the Bible one chapter at a time, a few minutes a day, and shows you what's really there: the words behind the words, the moments most people miss, and how the whole story fits together. For you. For everyone.

  • Every chapter explains itself

    As you read, short notes open up what's really going on, the details most readers walk past, and the honest questions people ask.

  • The Hebrew and Greek behind it

    Tap a highlighted word to see the original, how to say it, and what it means, checked against the original-language texts.

  • Every page leads to Jesus

    Watch promises made in Genesis kept in Jesus. Each line lights up on your map as you read.

  • Better together

    Read on your own, or start a Bible study with friends, family or your church. Answers stay sealed until you meet, then appear together.

  1. 1

    Start your free week

    Sign up in a minute with your email.

  2. 2

    Read a few minutes a day

    Each chapter opens itself up as you go. Tap what you're curious about.

  3. 3

    Bring your people, if you like

    Send one link. Everyone reads the same chapter, then meets to talk.

The best way to study the Bible.

Your small group or your church can use Favor for Bible study, or you can read by yourself.

First week free, then $10 a month per person

Questions like this, in every chapter

The best way to learn the Bible. For you. For everyone.

There's a seat for you at the table.

Start your free week

First week free, then $10 a month per person · Log in

Last reviewed October 8, 2026. Scripture quotations are from the World English Bible, which is in the public domain. Every answer cites the verses it rests on. What we believe · All Bible questions