1 Corinthians 1 · a question people ask
"I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius" (1:14). Why give thanks for that?
The words run on into the next verse: "so that no one should say that I had baptized you into my own name" (1:15). They follow the question "Or were you baptized into the name of Paul?" (1:13). After the words the WEB prints in parentheses (1:16), the letter says, "For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the Good News" (1:17). The chapter says no more about baptism than these verses, and these notes don't either.
The verses
“Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized into the name of Paul? I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, so that no one should say that I had baptized you into my own name.”
“For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the Good News—not in wisdom of words, so that the cross of Christ wouldn’t be made void.”