2 Samuel 7 · a question people ask

Is the son in 7:12-16 Solomon, or Jesus?

Interpretation

The chapter doesn't name him. It speaks of "your offspring after you, who will proceed out of your body" (7:12), who "will build a house for my name" (7:13). Chronicles names Solomon: "for his name shall be Solomon" (1 Chronicles 22:9). Hebrews takes the first half of 7:14 for the Son: "I will be to him a Father, and he will be to me a Son" (Hebrews 1:5). Hebrews quotes only the first half. The second half, "If he commits iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men and with the stripes of the children of men" (7:14), isn't quoted in the New Testament, and 1 Chronicles 17:13 tells the promise without it. Christians read how these fit together in two main ways. Both agree that Hebrews speaks the first half of 7:14 of the Son, and that Hebrews says of him, "yet without sin" (Hebrews 4:15).

How Christians read it

Where Christians differ, Favor sets out the main views side by side and doesn't pick one.

Solomon first, and then Jesus

Those who read it this way take the offspring of 7:12-13 as Solomon first. Chronicles has the LORD say of him, "He shall build a house for my name; and he will be my son, and I will be his father" (1 Chronicles 22:10), and when the house is built Solomon says, "I have risen up in the place of David my father, and I sit on the throne of Israel, as the LORD promised, and have built the house for the name of the LORD, the God of Israel" (1 Kings 8:20). On this reading the chastening words of 7:14 belong to Solomon, and the promise's "forever" (7:13, 7:16) reaches past him to Jesus, of whom Hebrews says, "I will be to him a Father, and he will be to me a Son" (Hebrews 1:5).

1 Chronicles 22:9-10 · 1 Kings 8:20 · 2 Samuel 7:13-16 · Hebrews 1:5

David's line, kept in Jesus

Those who read it this way take "your offspring" (7:12) as David's line of sons, not one son only; the Hebrew word, zera, is used both of one child (Genesis 4:25) and of many (Genesis 15:5). A psalm retells the promise this way: "I will establish your offspring forever, and build up your throne to all generations" (Psalm 89:4). It speaks of "his children" (Psalm 89:30): "then I will punish their sin with the rod, and their iniquity with stripes" (Psalm 89:32), "But I will not completely take my loving kindness from him" (Psalm 89:33). On this reading the chastening falls on the kings of David's line who sin, and the throne that stands "forever" (7:16) is the one Gabriel says Jesus will be given: "The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David" (Luke 1:32).

2 Samuel 7:12 · Genesis 4:25 · Genesis 15:5 · Psalm 89:4 · Psalm 89:30-33 · 2 Samuel 7:16 · Luke 1:32

The verses

“When your days are fulfilled and you sleep with your fathers, I will set up your offspring after you, who will proceed out of your body, and I will establish his kingdom. He will build a house for my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. I will be his father, and he will be my son. If he commits iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men and with the stripes of the children of men;”
2 Samuel 7:12-14 · World English Bible
“Behold, a son shall be born to you, who shall be a man of peace. I will give him rest from all his enemies all around; for his name shall be Solomon, and I will give peace and quietness to Israel in his days.”
1 Chronicles 22:9 · World English Bible
“I will be his father, and he will be my son. I will not take my loving kindness away from him, as I took it from him who was before you;”
1 Chronicles 17:13 · World English Bible
“For to which of the angels did he say at any time, “You are my Son. Today I have become your father?” and again, “I will be to him a Father, and he will be to me a Son?””
Hebrews 1:5 · World English Bible

From Favor's study of 2 Samuel 7

2 Samuel 7: The LORD will make you a house

David spoke of the house he lived in and the curtains God's ark was in; the LORD answered that he would make David a house. One Hebrew word, bayit, carries David's house of cedar, the house for the LORD's name and the house the LORD will make for David, 15 times in this one chapter, more than in any other chapter of 1 or 2 Samuel.

In Favor, questions like this come up right where they arise as you read, with the Hebrew and Greek behind the words and how the chapter leads to Jesus.

First week free, then $10 a month per person

More questions about 2 Samuel 7

All questions about 2 Samuel →

The best way to learn the Bible

Favor opens up every chapter as you read.

Favor is a Bible study app for your phone or computer. It takes you through the Bible one chapter at a time, a few minutes a day, and shows you what's really there: the words behind the words, the moments most people miss, and how the whole story fits together. For you. For everyone.

  • Every chapter explains itself

    As you read, short notes open up what's really going on, the details most readers walk past, and the honest questions people ask.

  • The Hebrew and Greek behind it

    Tap a highlighted word to see the original, how to say it, and what it means, checked against the original-language texts.

  • Every page leads to Jesus

    Watch promises made in Genesis kept in Jesus. Each line lights up on your map as you read.

  • Better together

    Read on your own, or start a Bible study with friends, family or your church. Answers stay sealed until you meet, then appear together.

  1. 1

    Start your free week

    Sign up in a minute with your email.

  2. 2

    Read a few minutes a day

    Each chapter opens itself up as you go. Tap what you're curious about.

  3. 3

    Bring your people, if you like

    Send one link. Everyone reads the same chapter, then meets to talk.

Start your free week

First week free, then $10 a month per person

Questions like this, in every chapter

The best way to learn the Bible. For you. For everyone.

There's a seat for you at the table.

Start your free week

First week free, then $10 a month per person · Log in

Scripture quotations are from the World English Bible, which is in the public domain. Every answer cites the verses it rests on. What we believe · All Bible questions