2 Corinthians 7 · a question people ask
"I do not regret it, though I did regret it" (7:8). Which is it?
The verse says both, in its own words: "For though I grieved you with my letter, I do not regret it, though I did regret it. For I see that my letter made you grieve, though just for a while." (7:8). The next verse says what it rejoices in now: "I now rejoice, not that you were grieved, but that you were grieved to repentance." (7:9). These notes say no more of the regret, or of the letter, than these verses do.
The verses
“For though I grieved you with my letter, I do not regret it, though I did regret it. For I see that my letter made you grieve, though just for a while. I now rejoice, not that you were grieved, but that you were grieved to repentance. For you were grieved in a godly way, that you might suffer loss by us in nothing.”