2 Corinthians 2 · a question people ask
"For to this end I also wrote" (2:9). Why does the chapter say it wrote?
It gives its reasons in its own words: "so that when I came, I wouldn’t have sorrow from them of whom I ought to rejoice" (2:3); "not that you should be made to grieve, but that you might know the love that I have so abundantly for you" (2:4); and "For to this end I also wrote, that I might know the proof of you, whether you are obedient in all things." (2:9). These notes say no more of that writing than these verses do.
The verses
“And I wrote this very thing to you, so that when I came, I wouldn’t have sorrow from them of whom I ought to rejoice; having confidence in you all that my joy would be shared by all of you. For out of much affliction and anguish of heart I wrote to you with many tears, not that you should be made to grieve, but that you might know the love that I have so abundantly for you.”
“For to this end I also wrote, that I might know the proof of you, whether you are obedient in all things.”