1 Kings 18 · a question people ask

Elijah says, "I, even I only, am left" (18:22). What about the hundred prophets Obadiah hid?

In the text

Obadiah tells Elijah how he "hid one hundred men of the LORD’s prophets with fifty to a cave, and fed them with bread and water" (18:13). A few verses later Elijah says to the people, "I, even I only, am left as a prophet of the LORD; but Baal’s prophets are four hundred fifty men" (18:22). The chapter doesn't say whether those hundred were still alive or where they were, and it doesn't explain Elijah's words. At Horeb, in the next chapter, he says almost the same thing again, "I, even I only, am left" (19:10), and the LORD answers, "Yet I reserved seven thousand in Israel, all the knees of which have not bowed to Baal" (19:18). Chapter 19 comes back to it.

The verses

“Wasn’t it told my lord what I did when Jezebel killed the LORD’s prophets, how I hid one hundred men of the LORD’s prophets with fifty to a cave, and fed them with bread and water?”
1 Kings 18:13 · World English Bible
“Then Elijah said to the people, “I, even I only, am left as a prophet of the LORD; but Baal’s prophets are four hundred fifty men.”
1 Kings 18:22 · World English Bible
“He said, “I have been very jealous for the LORD, the God of Armies; for the children of Israel have forsaken your covenant, thrown down your altars, and killed your prophets with the sword. I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.””
1 Kings 19:10 · World English Bible
“Yet I reserved seven thousand in Israel, all the knees of which have not bowed to Baal, and every mouth that has not kissed him.””
1 Kings 19:18 · World English Bible

From Favor's study of 1 Kings 18

1 Kings 18: The God who answers

In Hebrew the people "waver" (18:21) and Baal's prophets "leaped" about the altar (18:26) with the same verb, one Brown-Driver-Briggs gives as "limp". And the verb answer comes eight times in the chapter, from the people who "didn’t say a word" (18:21) to Elijah's "Hear me, LORD, hear me" (18:37), which in Hebrew is answer me.

In Favor, questions like this come up right where they arise as you read, with the Hebrew and Greek behind the words and how the chapter leads to Jesus.

First week free, then $10 a month per person

More questions about 1 Kings 18

All questions about 1 Kings →

The best way to learn the Bible

Favor opens up every chapter as you read.

Favor is a Bible study app for your phone or computer. It takes you through the Bible one chapter at a time, a few minutes a day, and shows you what's really there: the words behind the words, the moments most people miss, and how the whole story fits together. For you. For everyone.

  • Every chapter explains itself

    As you read, short notes open up what's really going on, the details most readers walk past, and the honest questions people ask.

  • The Hebrew and Greek behind it

    Tap a highlighted word to see the original, how to say it, and what it means, checked against the original-language texts.

  • Every page leads to Jesus

    Watch promises made in Genesis kept in Jesus. Each line lights up on your map as you read.

  • Better together

    Read on your own, or start a Bible study with friends, family or your church. Answers stay sealed until you meet, then appear together.

  1. 1

    Start your free week

    Sign up in a minute with your email.

  2. 2

    Read a few minutes a day

    Each chapter opens itself up as you go. Tap what you're curious about.

  3. 3

    Bring your people, if you like

    Send one link. Everyone reads the same chapter, then meets to talk.

Start your free week

First week free, then $10 a month per person

Questions like this, in every chapter

The best way to learn the Bible. For you. For everyone.

There's a seat for you at the table.

Start your free week

First week free, then $10 a month per person · Log in

Scripture quotations are from the World English Bible, which is in the public domain. Every answer cites the verses it rests on. What we believe · All Bible questions