1 Corinthians 7 · a question people ask
"because of the distress that is on us" (7:26). What is the distress?
The verse says, "Therefore I think that because of the distress that is on us, it’s good for a man to remain as he is." (7:26). The letter doesn't say what the distress is. It goes on, "Yet such will have oppression in the flesh, and I want to spare you." (7:28), "But I say this, brothers: the time is short." (7:29), and "For the mode of this world passes away." (7:31). It says no more about any of these than these verses do, and these notes don't name the distress or give these verses a reading of their own.
The verses
“Therefore I think that because of the distress that is on us, it’s good for a man to remain as he is.”
“But if you marry, you have not sinned. If a virgin marries, she has not sinned. Yet such will have oppression in the flesh, and I want to spare you. But I say this, brothers: the time is short. From now on, both those who have wives may be as though they had none;”
“and those who use the world, as not using it to the fullest. For the mode of this world passes away.”