1 Corinthians 11 · a question people ask
"it is not the Lord’s supper that you eat" (11:20). Why not?
The letter goes straight on with For: "For in your eating each one takes his own supper first. One is hungry, and another is drunken." (11:21). Then come its questions: "What, don’t you have houses to eat and to drink in? Or do you despise God’s assembly and put them to shame who don’t have enough?" (11:22). These are the verses' own words. They don't say more of what was eaten or of how the meal went, and these notes add nothing to them, and don't say in their own words what the Lord's supper is.
The verses
“When therefore you assemble yourselves together, it is not the Lord’s supper that you eat. For in your eating each one takes his own supper first. One is hungry, and another is drunken. What, don’t you have houses to eat and to drink in? Or do you despise God’s assembly and put them to shame who don’t have enough? What shall I tell you? Shall I praise you? In this I don’t praise you.”