2 Thessalonians 2 · a question people ask
"Now you know what is restraining him" (2:6). What is it?
Here are the letter's own words: "Don’t you remember that when I was still with you, I told you these things?" (2:5) "Now you know what is restraining him, to the end that he may be revealed in his own season." (2:6) "For the mystery of lawlessness already works. Only there is one who restrains now, until he is taken out of the way." (2:7). The letter doesn't say who or what restrains, and these notes don't either. They name no one and nothing, then or now.
The verses
“Don’t you remember that when I was still with you, I told you these things? Now you know what is restraining him, to the end that he may be revealed in his own season. For the mystery of lawlessness already works. Only there is one who restrains now, until he is taken out of the way.”