2 Samuel 19 · a question people ask
Did David really forgive Shimei?
In this chapter the king spares him and swears to it: "The king said to Shimei, “You will not die.” The king swore to him" (19:23). His reason is given in a question: "Shall any man be put to death today in Israel? For don’t I know that I am king over Israel today?" (19:22). 1 Kings tells the rest. Near his death David reminds Solomon of Shimei, "who cursed me with a grievous curse in the day when I went to Mahanaim; but he came down to meet me at the Jordan, and I swore to him by the LORD, saying, ‘I will not put you to death with the sword.’" (1 Kings 2:8), and he adds, "Now therefore don’t hold him guiltless" (1 Kings 2:9). Solomon tells Shimei to live in Jerusalem, "and don’t go anywhere else" (1 Kings 2:36), and when Shimei goes to Gath after runaway slaves (1 Kings 2:39-40), Solomon has him put to death (1 Kings 2:46). Christians read David's part in two main ways. Both agree that David himself never put Shimei to death, and that Shimei died under Solomon after leaving Jerusalem (1 Kings 2:41-46).
How Christians read it
Where Christians differ, Favor sets out the main views side by side and doesn't pick one.
He kept his word
Those who read it this way point to the oath itself. David swore, "I will not put you to death with the sword" (1 Kings 2:8), and he never did; Shimei lived through the rest of David's reign. His words to Solomon, "don’t hold him guiltless" (1 Kings 2:9), are a king's judgement on a man who had "cursed the LORD’s anointed" (19:21), and Solomon acted only after Shimei broke the terms he had agreed to: "What you say is good" (1 Kings 2:38), and "Why then have you not kept the oath of the LORD" (1 Kings 2:43).
1 Kings 2:8-9 · 2 Samuel 19:21 · 1 Kings 2:38 · 1 Kings 2:42-43
He spared him for that day
Those who read it this way point to how David framed his pardon. He tied it to the day: "Shall any man be put to death today in Israel? For don’t I know that I am king over Israel today?" (19:22). And at the end of his life he had not let Shimei's curse go: "you will know what you ought to do to him, and you shall bring his gray head down to Sheol with blood" (1 Kings 2:9). On this reading David kept the letter of his oath while he lived and left the matter to his son.
2 Samuel 19:22 · 1 Kings 2:9
The verses
“David said, “What have I to do with you, you sons of Zeruiah, that you should be adversaries to me today? Shall any man be put to death today in Israel? For don’t I know that I am king over Israel today?” The king said to Shimei, “You will not die.” The king swore to him.”
““Behold, there is with you Shimei the son of Gera, the Benjamite of Bahurim, who cursed me with a grievous curse in the day when I went to Mahanaim; but he came down to meet me at the Jordan, and I swore to him by the LORD, saying, ‘I will not put you to death with the sword.’ Now therefore don’t hold him guiltless, for you are a wise man; and you will know what you ought to do to him, and you shall bring his gray head down to Sheol with blood.””