2 Samuel 16 · a question people ask

Did Hushai mean what he said to Absalom?

In the text

The chapter doesn't say what Hushai meant. It says what David sent him to do: "if you return to the city, and tell Absalom, ‘I will be your servant, O king. As I have been your father’s servant in time past, so I will now be your servant; then you will defeat for me the counsel of Ahithophel.’" (15:34). It calls him "Hushai the Archite, David’s friend" (16:16) as he comes to Absalom. And it gives his words: "Long live the king! Long live the king!" (16:16); "whomever the LORD and this people and all the men of Israel have chosen, I will be his, and I will stay with him" (16:18) (tap chosen); and "As I have served in your father’s presence, so I will be in your presence" (16:19). Absalom asks him, "Is this your kindness to your friend? Why didn’t you go with your friend?" (16:17). The book neither praises nor blames Hushai's words. In the next chapter it tells what came of them (17:14-15).

The verses

“but if you return to the city, and tell Absalom, ‘I will be your servant, O king. As I have been your father’s servant in time past, so I will now be your servant; then you will defeat for me the counsel of Ahithophel.’”
2 Samuel 15:34 · World English Bible
“When Hushai the Archite, David’s friend, had come to Absalom, Hushai said to Absalom, “Long live the king! Long live the king!” Absalom said to Hushai, “Is this your kindness to your friend? Why didn’t you go with your friend?” Hushai said to Absalom, “No; but whomever the LORD and this people and all the men of Israel have chosen, I will be his, and I will stay with him. Again, whom should I serve? Shouldn’t I serve in the presence of his son? As I have served in your father’s presence, so I will be in your presence.””
2 Samuel 16:16-19 · World English Bible
“Absalom and all the men of Israel said, “The counsel of Hushai the Archite is better than the counsel of Ahithophel.” For the LORD had ordained to defeat the good counsel of Ahithophel, to the intent that the LORD might bring evil on Absalom. Then Hushai said to Zadok and to Abiathar the priests, “Ahithophel counseled Absalom and the elders of Israel that way; and I have counseled this way.”
2 Samuel 17:14-15 · World English Bible

From Favor's study of 2 Samuel 16

2 Samuel 16: Let him curse

Shimei shouted that the LORD "has returned on you all the blood of Saul’s house" (16:8). David, who could have had him killed, used the same Hebrew verb in hope: "the LORD will repay me good for the cursing of me today" (16:12).

In Favor, questions like this come up right where they arise as you read, with the Hebrew and Greek behind the words and how the chapter leads to Jesus.

First week free, then $10 a month per person

More questions about 2 Samuel 16

All questions about 2 Samuel →

The best way to learn the Bible

Favor opens up every chapter as you read.

Favor is a Bible study app for your phone or computer. It takes you through the Bible one chapter at a time, a few minutes a day, and shows you what's really there: the words behind the words, the moments most people miss, and how the whole story fits together. For you. For everyone.

  • Every chapter explains itself

    As you read, short notes open up what's really going on, the details most readers walk past, and the honest questions people ask.

  • The Hebrew and Greek behind it

    Tap a highlighted word to see the original, how to say it, and what it means, checked against the original-language texts.

  • Every page leads to Jesus

    Watch promises made in Genesis kept in Jesus. Each line lights up on your map as you read.

  • Better together

    Read on your own, or start a Bible study with friends, family or your church. Answers stay sealed until you meet, then appear together.

  1. 1

    Start your free week

    Sign up in a minute with your email.

  2. 2

    Read a few minutes a day

    Each chapter opens itself up as you go. Tap what you're curious about.

  3. 3

    Bring your people, if you like

    Send one link. Everyone reads the same chapter, then meets to talk.

Start your free week

First week free, then $10 a month per person

Questions like this, in every chapter

The best way to learn the Bible. For you. For everyone.

There's a seat for you at the table.

Start your free week

First week free, then $10 a month per person · Log in

Scripture quotations are from the World English Bible, which is in the public domain. Every answer cites the verses it rests on. What we believe · All Bible questions