2 Kings 5 · a question people ask
Why did Elisha refuse Naaman's gift?
Naaman had set out with "ten talents of silver, six thousand pieces of gold, and ten changes of clothing" (5:5), and when he was clean he said, "please take a gift from your servant" (5:15). Elisha answered, "As the LORD lives, before whom I stand, I will receive none" (5:16), and though Naaman urged him, "he refused" (5:16). The chapter gives no reason at that point. Its only word on it comes later, from Elisha to Gehazi: "Is it a time to receive money, and to receive garments, and olive groves and vineyards, and sheep and cattle, and male servants and female servants?" (5:26). The chapter doesn't explain that question further, and these notes don't either.
The verses
“The king of Syria said, “Go now, and I will send a letter to the king of Israel.” He departed, and took with him ten talents of silver, six thousand pieces of gold, and ten changes of clothing.”
“He returned to the man of God, he and all his company, and came, and stood before him; and he said, “See now, I know that there is no God in all the earth, but in Israel. Now therefore, please take a gift from your servant.” But he said, “As the LORD lives, before whom I stand, I will receive none.” He urged him to take it; but he refused.”
“He said to him, “Didn’t my heart go with you when the man turned from his chariot to meet you? Is it a time to receive money, and to receive garments, and olive groves and vineyards, and sheep and cattle, and male servants and female servants?”