2 Kings 22 · a question people ask
Josiah humbled himself. Why does the evil still come?
Huldah's word gives the reason in the LORD's own words, and it is about the place and its people, not about Josiah: "Because they have forsaken me and have burned incense to other gods, that they might provoke me to anger with all the work of their hands, therefore my wrath shall be kindled against this place, and it will not be quenched" (22:17). To Josiah the LORD says, "I also have heard you" (22:19), and what he promises is that "Your eyes will not see all the evil which I will bring on this place" (22:20). The chapter before had already told the LORD's word by his servants the prophets against Jerusalem (21:10-12). The next chapter says it again after Josiah's reform: "Notwithstanding, the LORD didn’t turn from the fierceness of his great wrath, with which his anger burned against Judah, because of all the provocation with which Manasseh had provoked him" (23:26). The chapter doesn't say that one king's humbling turned the word away from the place. It says the LORD heard him.
The verses
“Because they have forsaken me and have burned incense to other gods, that they might provoke me to anger with all the work of their hands, therefore my wrath shall be kindled against this place, and it will not be quenched.’””
“because your heart was tender, and you humbled yourself before the LORD when you heard what I spoke against this place and against its inhabitants, that they should become a desolation and a curse, and have torn your clothes and wept before me, I also have heard you,’ says the LORD. ‘Therefore behold, I will gather you to your fathers, and you will be gathered to your grave in peace. Your eyes will not see all the evil which I will bring on this place.’”’” So they brought this message back to the king.”
“The LORD spoke by his servants the prophets, saying, “Because Manasseh king of Judah has done these abominations, and has done wickedly above all that the Amorites did, who were before him, and has also made Judah to sin with his idols; therefore the LORD the God of Israel says, ‘Behold, I will bring such evil on Jerusalem and Judah that whoever hears of it, both his ears will tingle.”
“Notwithstanding, the LORD didn’t turn from the fierceness of his great wrath, with which his anger burned against Judah, because of all the provocation with which Manasseh had provoked him.”