2 Kings 21 · a question people ask

The LORD said he would put his name in this house forever. What happened to that promise?

In the text

The chapter quotes the promise with its condition: "In this house, and in Jerusalem, which I have chosen out of all the tribes of Israel, I will put my name forever" (21:7), and "I will not cause the feet of Israel to wander any more out of the land which I gave their fathers, if only they will observe to do according to all that I have commanded them" (21:8). When Solomon had finished the house (1 Kings 9:1), the LORD said to him, "I have made this house holy, which you have built, to put my name there forever" (1 Kings 9:3), and then, "But if you turn away from following me, you or your children" (1 Kings 9:6), "then I will cut off Israel out of the land which I have given them; and I will cast this house, which I have made holy for my name, out of my sight" (1 Kings 9:7). Here, "they didn’t listen" (21:9). Later in 2 Kings the LORD says, "I will cast off this city which I have chosen, even Jerusalem, and the house of which I said, ‘My name shall be there.’" (23:27). The chapter sets the "forever" of 21:7 beside the "if only" of 21:8. These notes set the verses side by side and leave them there.

The verses

“When Solomon had finished the building of the LORD’s house, the king’s house, and all Solomon’s desire which he was pleased to do,”
1 Kings 9:1 · World English Bible
“The LORD said to him, “I have heard your prayer and your supplication that you have made before me. I have made this house holy, which you have built, to put my name there forever; and my eyes and my heart shall be there perpetually.”
1 Kings 9:3 · World English Bible
“But if you turn away from following me, you or your children, and not keep my commandments and my statutes which I have set before you, but go and serve other gods and worship them, then I will cut off Israel out of the land which I have given them; and I will cast this house, which I have made holy for my name, out of my sight; and Israel will be a proverb and a byword among all peoples.”
1 Kings 9:6-7 · World English Bible
“The LORD said, “I will also remove Judah out of my sight, as I have removed Israel; and I will cast off this city which I have chosen, even Jerusalem, and the house of which I said, ‘My name shall be there.’””
2 Kings 23:27 · World English Bible

From Favor's study of 2 Kings 21

2 Kings 21: The line of Samaria

Manasseh set an engraved image in the very house of which the LORD had said, "I will put my name forever" (21:7), and the LORD answered by his servants the prophets: he would stretch over Jerusalem "the line of Samaria" (21:13). Yet the chapter closes with Josiah on the throne (21:26), the king a man of God had named at Bethel in Jeroboam's day (1 Kings 13:2).

In Favor, questions like this come up right where they arise as you read, with the Hebrew and Greek behind the words and how the chapter leads to Jesus.

First week free, then $10 a month per person

More questions about 2 Kings 21

All questions about 2 Kings →

The best way to learn the Bible

Favor opens up every chapter as you read.

Favor is a Bible study app for your phone or computer. It takes you through the Bible one chapter at a time, a few minutes a day, and shows you what's really there: the words behind the words, the moments most people miss, and how the whole story fits together. For you. For everyone.

  • Every chapter explains itself

    As you read, short notes open up what's really going on, the details most readers walk past, and the honest questions people ask.

  • The Hebrew and Greek behind it

    Tap a highlighted word to see the original, how to say it, and what it means, checked against the original-language texts.

  • Every page leads to Jesus

    Watch promises made in Genesis kept in Jesus. Each line lights up on your map as you read.

  • Better together

    Read on your own, or start a Bible study with friends, family or your church. Answers stay sealed until you meet, then appear together.

  1. 1

    Start your free week

    Sign up in a minute with your email.

  2. 2

    Read a few minutes a day

    Each chapter opens itself up as you go. Tap what you're curious about.

  3. 3

    Bring your people, if you like

    Send one link. Everyone reads the same chapter, then meets to talk.

Start your free week

First week free, then $10 a month per person

Questions like this, in every chapter

The best way to learn the Bible. For you. For everyone.

There's a seat for you at the table.

Start your free week

First week free, then $10 a month per person · Log in

Scripture quotations are from the World English Bible, which is in the public domain. Every answer cites the verses it rests on. What we believe · All Bible questions