2 Kings 18 · a question people ask
Rabshakeh says, "The LORD said to me, ‘Go up against this land, and destroy it.’" (18:25). Was he telling the truth?
2 Kings 18 gives his words and doesn't say. He asks, "Have I now come up without the LORD against this place to destroy it?" (18:25), and answers, "The LORD said to me, ‘Go up against this land, and destroy it.’" (18:25). The chapter adds nothing. In the next chapter the LORD speaks through Isaiah, and two things are said there. "Don’t be afraid of the words that you have heard, with which the servants of the king of Assyria have blasphemed me" (19:6). And to the king of Assyria: "Haven’t you heard how I have done it long ago, and formed it of ancient times? Now I have brought it to pass, that it should be yours to lay waste fortified cities into ruinous heaps" (19:25). Those verses are set beside 18:25 here, and nothing is added to join them.
The verses
“Have I now come up without the LORD against this place to destroy it? The LORD said to me, ‘Go up against this land, and destroy it.’”’””
“Isaiah said to them, “Tell your master this: ‘The LORD says, “Don’t be afraid of the words that you have heard, with which the servants of the king of Assyria have blasphemed me.”
“Haven’t you heard how I have done it long ago, and formed it of ancient times? Now I have brought it to pass, that it should be yours to lay waste fortified cities into ruinous heaps.”