2 Chronicles 7 · a question people ask

The LORD said "forever". How could the house then be cast out of his sight?

In the text

Both are in the same answer: "For now I have chosen and made this house holy, that my name may be there forever; and my eyes and my heart will be there perpetually" (7:16), and "this house, which I have made holy for my name, I will cast out of my sight" (7:20), "if you turn away and forsake my statutes and my commandments" (7:19). 1 Kings 9 has the same forever and the same warning in the same speech (1 Kings 9:3, 9:7), and its honest question asks this too. 2 Chronicles goes on to tell the warning kept: "They burned God’s house" (36:19). It ends with the words of Cyrus: "he has commanded me to build him a house in Jerusalem" (36:23). The chapter doesn't say how the forever and the if fit together; it speaks them side by side, and these notes leave them there.

The verses

“For now I have chosen and made this house holy, that my name may be there forever; and my eyes and my heart will be there perpetually.”
2 Chronicles 7:16 · World English Bible
“But if you turn away and forsake my statutes and my commandments which I have set before you, and go and serve other gods and worship them, then I will pluck them up by the roots out of my land which I have given them; and this house, which I have made holy for my name, I will cast out of my sight, and I will make it a proverb and a byword among all peoples.”
2 Chronicles 7:19-20 · World English Bible
“The LORD said to him, “I have heard your prayer and your supplication that you have made before me. I have made this house holy, which you have built, to put my name there forever; and my eyes and my heart shall be there perpetually.”
1 Kings 9:3 · World English Bible
“then I will cut off Israel out of the land which I have given them; and I will cast this house, which I have made holy for my name, out of my sight; and Israel will be a proverb and a byword among all peoples.”
1 Kings 9:7 · World English Bible

From Favor's study of 2 Chronicles 7

2 Chronicles 7: If my people

The two things 7:14 asks first and last, to humble themselves and to turn, come back in the verdict on Judah's last king: Zedekiah "didn’t humble himself before Jeremiah the prophet" (36:12) and "hardened his heart against turning to the LORD" (36:13), the same two Hebrew verbs. And the fire of 7:1 is told only in 2 Chronicles.

In Favor, questions like this come up right where they arise as you read, with the Hebrew and Greek behind the words and how the chapter leads to Jesus.

First week free, then $10 a month per person

More questions about 2 Chronicles 7

All questions about 2 Chronicles →

The best way to learn the Bible

Favor opens up every chapter as you read.

Favor is a Bible study app for your phone or computer. It takes you through the Bible one chapter at a time, a few minutes a day, and shows you what's really there: the words behind the words, the moments most people miss, and how the whole story fits together. For you. For everyone.

  • Every chapter explains itself

    As you read, short notes open up what's really going on, the details most readers walk past, and the honest questions people ask.

  • The Hebrew and Greek behind it

    Tap a highlighted word to see the original, how to say it, and what it means, checked against the original-language texts.

  • Every page leads to Jesus

    Watch promises made in Genesis kept in Jesus. Each line lights up on your map as you read.

  • Better together

    Read on your own, or start a Bible study with friends, family or your church. Answers stay sealed until you meet, then appear together.

  1. 1

    Start your free week

    Sign up in a minute with your email.

  2. 2

    Read a few minutes a day

    Each chapter opens itself up as you go. Tap what you're curious about.

  3. 3

    Bring your people, if you like

    Send one link. Everyone reads the same chapter, then meets to talk.

Start your free week

First week free, then $10 a month per person

Questions like this, in every chapter

The best way to learn the Bible. For you. For everyone.

There's a seat for you at the table.

Start your free week

First week free, then $10 a month per person · Log in

Scripture quotations are from the World English Bible, which is in the public domain. Every answer cites the verses it rests on. What we believe · All Bible questions