2 Chronicles 23 · a question people ask
What had the LORD spoken "concerning the sons of David"?
Jehoiada doesn't quote it (23:3). Earlier, the LORD's word to David through Nathan was, "I will set up your offspring after you, who will be of your sons; and I will establish his kingdom" (1 Chronicles 17:11), and "I will establish his throne forever" (1 Chronicles 17:12). David answered, "do as you have spoken" (1 Chronicles 17:23): in Hebrew the same verb as Jehoiada's "has spoken" (23:3). In his prayer at the LORD's house, Solomon recalled the promise this way: "There shall not fail you a man in my sight to sit on the throne of Israel, if only your children take heed to their way, to walk in my law as you have walked before me" (6:16). The LORD answered him, "There shall not fail you a man to be ruler in Israel" (7:18). And under Jehoram, "the LORD would not destroy David’s house, because of the covenant that he had made with David" (21:7). The chapter doesn't say which of these words Jehoiada had in mind, and these notes don't guess.
The verses
“All the assembly made a covenant with the king in God’s house. Jehoiada said to them, “Behold, the king’s son must reign, as the LORD has spoken concerning the sons of David.”
“It will happen, when your days are fulfilled that you must go to be with your fathers, that I will set up your offspring after you, who will be of your sons; and I will establish his kingdom. He will build me a house, and I will establish his throne forever.”
“Now, LORD, let the word that you have spoken concerning your servant, and concerning his house, be established forever, and do as you have spoken.”
““Now therefore, LORD, the God of Israel, keep with your servant David my father that which you have promised him, saying, ‘There shall not fail you a man in my sight to sit on the throne of Israel, if only your children take heed to their way, to walk in my law as you have walked before me.’”