2 Chronicles 2 · a question people ask
If heaven can't contain God, why build him a house?
Solomon asks it himself, and answers it in the same breath: "Who am I then, that I should build him a house, except just to burn incense before him?" (2:6). The message has already said what the house is for: "to dedicate it to him, to burn before him incense of sweet spices, for the continual show bread, and for the burnt offerings morning and evening, on the Sabbaths, on the new moons, and on the set feasts of the LORD our God" (2:4). And whose it is: "a house for the LORD’s name" (2:1). At the dedication he says again that heaven can't contain God (6:18), and asks, "that your eyes may be open toward this house day and night, even toward the place where you have said that you would put your name" (6:20), and "hear from your dwelling place, even from heaven" (6:21). When he has finished praying, "the LORD’s glory filled the house" (7:1). The chapter never says the house holds God. It says the house is for his name, and for what is done before him.
The verses
“Now Solomon decided to build a house for the LORD’s name, and a house for his kingdom.”
“Behold, I am about to build a house for the name of the LORD my God, to dedicate it to him, to burn before him incense of sweet spices, for the continual show bread, and for the burnt offerings morning and evening, on the Sabbaths, on the new moons, and on the set feasts of the LORD our God. This is an ordinance forever to Israel.”
“But who is able to build him a house, since heaven and the heaven of heavens can’t contain him? Who am I then, that I should build him a house, except just to burn incense before him?”
““But will God indeed dwell with men on the earth? Behold, heaven and the heaven of heavens can’t contain you; how much less this house which I have built!”