1 Thessalonians 1 · a question people ask
"We always give thanks to God for all of you" (1:2). Who is the we?
The chapter doesn't say, and these notes don't either. The letter opens with three names, "Paul, Silvanus, and Timothy" (1:1), and goes on as we: "We always give thanks to God for all of you, mentioning you in our prayers" (1:2). It doesn't say who the we are, and these notes name no one in it. Later in the letter its I names itself once: "indeed, I, Paul, once and again" (2:18).
The verses
“Paul, Silvanus, and Timothy, to the assembly of the Thessalonians in God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. We always give thanks to God for all of you, mentioning you in our prayers,”
“because we wanted to come to you—indeed, I, Paul, once and again—but Satan hindered us.”