1 Samuel 26 · a question people ask

Saul says "I have sinned" again (26:21). Did he mean it this time?

Interpretation

It is the third time 1 Samuel gives Saul these words. Twice he said them to Samuel (15:24, 15:30), and chapter 15's honest question sets out how Christians read those. Here he says them to David: "I have sinned. Return, my son David; for I will no more do you harm, because my life was precious in your eyes today. Behold, I have played the fool, and have erred exceedingly" (26:21) (tap sinned and played the fool). The chapter doesn't say what was in his heart, and Christians read his words in two main ways. Both agree on what the chapter says happened next: "So David went his way, and Saul returned to his place" (26:25).

How Christians read it

Where Christians differ, Favor sets out the main views side by side and doesn't pick one.

Words that didn't hold

Those who read it this way look at what came before. After the cave, Saul had said, "You are more righteous than I" (24:17), and "may the LORD reward you good for that which you have done to me today" (24:19). Two chapters later he is out again with "three thousand chosen men of Israel" (26:2), to seek David. David's answer is to keep his distance: he asks Saul to send one of the young men for the spear (26:22), and in the next chapter he says in his heart, "I will now perish one day by the hand of Saul" (27:1).

1 Samuel 24:17 · 1 Samuel 24:19 · 1 Samuel 26:2 · 1 Samuel 26:22 · 1 Samuel 27:1

A true word, spoken that day

Those who read it this way take Saul at his word. He names what he did three ways, "I have sinned… I have played the fool, and have erred exceedingly" (26:21) (tap erred), and he gives the reason he says it: "because my life was precious in your eyes today" (26:21). His last words in the chapter bless David: "You are blessed, my son David. You will both do mightily, and will surely prevail" (26:25). On this reading Saul meant what he said when he said it, whatever came after.

1 Samuel 26:21 · 1 Samuel 26:25

The verses

“Saul said to Samuel, “I have sinned; for I have transgressed the commandment of the LORD and your words, because I feared the people and obeyed their voice.”
1 Samuel 15:24 · World English Bible
“Then he said, “I have sinned; yet please honor me now before the elders of my people and before Israel, and come back with me, that I may worship the LORD your God.””
1 Samuel 15:30 · World English Bible
“Then Saul said, “I have sinned. Return, my son David; for I will no more do you harm, because my life was precious in your eyes today. Behold, I have played the fool, and have erred exceedingly.””
1 Samuel 26:21 · World English Bible
“Then Saul said to David, “You are blessed, my son David. You will both do mightily, and will surely prevail.” So David went his way, and Saul returned to his place.”
1 Samuel 26:25 · World English Bible

From Favor's study of 1 Samuel 26

1 Samuel 26: Who can stretch out his hand?

Chapter 26 is the second time Saul lies in David's hand, and David still won't touch "the LORD’s anointed" (26:9). He leaves Saul to the LORD, "the LORD will strike him; or his day shall come to die" (26:10), takes Saul's spear from beside his head, as Saul once threw his spear at him (18:11), and offers it back (26:22).

In Favor, questions like this come up right where they arise as you read, with the Hebrew and Greek behind the words and how the chapter leads to Jesus.

First week free, then $10 a month per person

More questions about 1 Samuel 26

All questions about 1 Samuel →

The best way to learn the Bible

Favor opens up every chapter as you read.

Favor is a Bible study app for your phone or computer. It takes you through the Bible one chapter at a time, a few minutes a day, and shows you what's really there: the words behind the words, the moments most people miss, and how the whole story fits together. For you. For everyone.

  • Every chapter explains itself

    As you read, short notes open up what's really going on, the details most readers walk past, and the honest questions people ask.

  • The Hebrew and Greek behind it

    Tap a highlighted word to see the original, how to say it, and what it means, checked against the original-language texts.

  • Every page leads to Jesus

    Watch promises made in Genesis kept in Jesus. Each line lights up on your map as you read.

  • Better together

    Read on your own, or start a Bible study with friends, family or your church. Answers stay sealed until you meet, then appear together.

  1. 1

    Start your free week

    Sign up in a minute with your email.

  2. 2

    Read a few minutes a day

    Each chapter opens itself up as you go. Tap what you're curious about.

  3. 3

    Bring your people, if you like

    Send one link. Everyone reads the same chapter, then meets to talk.

Start your free week

First week free, then $10 a month per person

Questions like this, in every chapter

The best way to learn the Bible. For you. For everyone.

There's a seat for you at the table.

Start your free week

First week free, then $10 a month per person · Log in

Scripture quotations are from the World English Bible, which is in the public domain. Every answer cites the verses it rests on. What we believe · All Bible questions