1 Samuel 24 · a question people ask
Saul wept and said, "You are more righteous than I" (24:17). Did he change?
In this chapter he says true things. "You are more righteous than I; for you have done good to me, whereas I have done evil to you" (24:17). "I know that you will surely be king" (24:20). The chapter doesn't say what was in his heart. It ends with the two men going different ways: "Saul went home, but David and his men went up to the stronghold" (24:22). David doesn't go home with him. Two chapters later, Saul goes out again "having three thousand chosen men of Israel with him, to seek David in the wilderness of Ziph" (26:2), the same number as here (24:2). Chapter 26 tells what happened then.
The verses
“He said to David, “You are more righteous than I; for you have done good to me, whereas I have done evil to you.”
“Now, behold, I know that you will surely be king, and that the kingdom of Israel will be established in your hand.”
“David swore to Saul. Saul went home, but David and his men went up to the stronghold.”
“Then Saul arose and went down to the wilderness of Ziph, having three thousand chosen men of Israel with him, to seek David in the wilderness of Ziph.”