1 Samuel 16 · a question people ask

Did Samuel tell a lie in Bethlehem?

In the text

Samuel's fear is plain: "How can I go? If Saul hears it, he will kill me" (16:2). The LORD answers, "Take a heifer with you, and say, ‘I have come to sacrifice to the LORD.’" (16:2), and "Call Jesse to the sacrifice, and I will show you what you shall do" (16:3). Samuel says the words the LORD gave him. When the elders ask, "Do you come peaceably?" (16:4), he answers, "Peaceably; I have come to sacrifice to the LORD" (16:5), and "He sanctified Jesse and his sons, and called them to the sacrifice" (16:5). The chapter doesn't say whether Samuel told the elders or Jesse the rest of why he had come, and it doesn't comment on it. It doesn't say whether Saul heard.

The verses

“Samuel said, “How can I go? If Saul hears it, he will kill me.” The LORD said, “Take a heifer with you, and say, ‘I have come to sacrifice to the LORD.’ Call Jesse to the sacrifice, and I will show you what you shall do. You shall anoint to me him whom I name to you.” Samuel did that which the LORD spoke, and came to Bethlehem. The elders of the city came to meet him trembling, and said, “Do you come peaceably?” He said, “Peaceably; I have come to sacrifice to the LORD. Sanctify yourselves, and come with me to the sacrifice.” He sanctified Jesse and his sons, and called them to the sacrifice.”
1 Samuel 16:2-5 · World English Bible

From Favor's study of 1 Samuel 16

1 Samuel 16: The LORD looks at the heart

"I have provided a king for myself" (16:1) is, in Hebrew, I have seen: the verb of "man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart" (16:7). And "the LORD’s Spirit came mightily on David from that day forward" (16:13) stands one verse from "Now the LORD’s Spirit departed from Saul" (16:14).

In Favor, questions like this come up right where they arise as you read, with the Hebrew and Greek behind the words and how the chapter leads to Jesus.

First week free, then $10 a month per person

More questions about 1 Samuel 16

All questions about 1 Samuel →

The best way to learn the Bible

Favor opens up every chapter as you read.

Favor is a Bible study app for your phone or computer. It takes you through the Bible one chapter at a time, a few minutes a day, and shows you what's really there: the words behind the words, the moments most people miss, and how the whole story fits together. For you. For everyone.

  • Every chapter explains itself

    As you read, short notes open up what's really going on, the details most readers walk past, and the honest questions people ask.

  • The Hebrew and Greek behind it

    Tap a highlighted word to see the original, how to say it, and what it means, checked against the original-language texts.

  • Every page leads to Jesus

    Watch promises made in Genesis kept in Jesus. Each line lights up on your map as you read.

  • Better together

    Read on your own, or start a Bible study with friends, family or your church. Answers stay sealed until you meet, then appear together.

  1. 1

    Start your free week

    Sign up in a minute with your email.

  2. 2

    Read a few minutes a day

    Each chapter opens itself up as you go. Tap what you're curious about.

  3. 3

    Bring your people, if you like

    Send one link. Everyone reads the same chapter, then meets to talk.

Start your free week

First week free, then $10 a month per person

Questions like this, in every chapter

The best way to learn the Bible. For you. For everyone.

There's a seat for you at the table.

Start your free week

First week free, then $10 a month per person · Log in

Scripture quotations are from the World English Bible, which is in the public domain. Every answer cites the verses it rests on. What we believe · All Bible questions