1 Samuel 15 · a question people ask

Saul said "I have sinned" twice. Why didn't that change what Samuel said?

Interpretation

Saul says it first in 15:24: "I have sinned; for I have transgressed the commandment of the LORD and your words, because I feared the people and obeyed their voice." He asks, "please pardon my sin, and turn again with me, that I may worship the LORD" (15:25). Samuel answers, "I will not return with you; for you have rejected the LORD’s word, and the LORD has rejected you from being king over Israel" (15:26). Saul says it again: "I have sinned; yet please honor me now before the elders of my people and before Israel, and come back with me, that I may worship the LORD your God" (15:30). "So Samuel went back with Saul; and Saul worshiped the LORD" (15:31). The chapter doesn't say what was in Saul's heart, and Christians read his words in two main ways. Both agree that the kingdom was not given back (15:28), and that Samuel did go back with him (15:31).

How Christians read it

Where Christians differ, Favor sets out the main views side by side and doesn't pick one.

Sorry, with his standing in view

Those who read it this way point to what comes with each confession. The first gives the people as the reason: "because I feared the people and obeyed their voice" (15:24), as Saul had said before, "the people spared the best of the sheep and of the cattle" (15:15). The second asks for honor: "yet please honor me now before the elders of my people and before Israel" (15:30). They set it beside "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit. O God, you will not despise a broken and contrite heart" (Psalm 51:17).

1 Samuel 15:24 · 1 Samuel 15:15 · 1 Samuel 15:30 · Psalm 51:17

A real confession, and a sentence that stands

Those who read it this way take "I have sinned" (15:24) at its word: Saul names what he did, "I have transgressed the commandment of the LORD" (15:24), and in the end "Saul worshiped the LORD" (15:31). They set it beside David, who said, "I have sinned against the LORD", and was told, "The LORD also has put away your sin. You will not die" (2 Samuel 12:13), and yet heard in the next verse what would still follow (2 Samuel 12:14). Read this way, what 15:28-29 says will stand is the loss of the kingdom.

1 Samuel 15:24 · 1 Samuel 15:31 · 2 Samuel 12:13-14 · 1 Samuel 15:28-29

The verses

“Saul said to Samuel, “I have sinned; for I have transgressed the commandment of the LORD and your words, because I feared the people and obeyed their voice. Now therefore, please pardon my sin, and turn again with me, that I may worship the LORD.” Samuel said to Saul, “I will not return with you; for you have rejected the LORD’s word, and the LORD has rejected you from being king over Israel.””
1 Samuel 15:24-26 · World English Bible
“Samuel said to him, “The LORD has torn the kingdom of Israel from you today, and has given it to a neighbor of yours who is better than you.”
1 Samuel 15:28 · World English Bible
“Then he said, “I have sinned; yet please honor me now before the elders of my people and before Israel, and come back with me, that I may worship the LORD your God.” So Samuel went back with Saul; and Saul worshiped the LORD.”
1 Samuel 15:30-31 · World English Bible

From Favor's study of 1 Samuel 15

1 Samuel 15: Better than sacrifice

Saul told Samuel, "I have obeyed the LORD’s voice" (15:20), and four verses later, "I feared the people and obeyed their voice" (15:24). In Hebrew it is one verb with one word for voice, and Samuel had already said which voice matters: "to obey is better than sacrifice" (15:22).

In Favor, questions like this come up right where they arise as you read, with the Hebrew and Greek behind the words and how the chapter leads to Jesus.

First week free, then $10 a month per person

More questions about 1 Samuel 15

All questions about 1 Samuel →

The best way to learn the Bible

Favor opens up every chapter as you read.

Favor is a Bible study app for your phone or computer. It takes you through the Bible one chapter at a time, a few minutes a day, and shows you what's really there: the words behind the words, the moments most people miss, and how the whole story fits together. For you. For everyone.

  • Every chapter explains itself

    As you read, short notes open up what's really going on, the details most readers walk past, and the honest questions people ask.

  • The Hebrew and Greek behind it

    Tap a highlighted word to see the original, how to say it, and what it means, checked against the original-language texts.

  • Every page leads to Jesus

    Watch promises made in Genesis kept in Jesus. Each line lights up on your map as you read.

  • Better together

    Read on your own, or start a Bible study with friends, family or your church. Answers stay sealed until you meet, then appear together.

  1. 1

    Start your free week

    Sign up in a minute with your email.

  2. 2

    Read a few minutes a day

    Each chapter opens itself up as you go. Tap what you're curious about.

  3. 3

    Bring your people, if you like

    Send one link. Everyone reads the same chapter, then meets to talk.

Start your free week

First week free, then $10 a month per person

Questions like this, in every chapter

The best way to learn the Bible. For you. For everyone.

There's a seat for you at the table.

Start your free week

First week free, then $10 a month per person · Log in

Scripture quotations are from the World English Bible, which is in the public domain. Every answer cites the verses it rests on. What we believe · All Bible questions