1 Kings 6 · a question people ask
Did the LORD promise to live in the building?
Look at the words of 6:12-13. The LORD speaks "Concerning this house which you are building" (6:12), and the promise is "I will dwell among the children of Israel, and will not forsake my people Israel" (6:13). It is a promise to dwell among a people, and it comes after an if: "if you will walk in my statutes" (6:12). At the dedication Solomon himself asks, "But will God in very deed dwell on the earth?" (8:27), and when the LORD appears to him afterward, he says, "I have made this house holy, which you have built, to put my name there forever" (9:3). Chapter 6 says the inner sanctuary was prepared "to set the ark of the LORD’s covenant there" (6:19), and it leaves the rest to chapters 8 and 9.
The verses
““Concerning this house which you are building, if you will walk in my statutes, and execute my ordinances, and keep all my commandments to walk in them, then I will establish my word with you, which I spoke to David your father. I will dwell among the children of Israel, and will not forsake my people Israel.””
“He prepared an inner sanctuary in the middle of the house within, to set the ark of the LORD’s covenant there.”
“But will God in very deed dwell on the earth? Behold, heaven and the heaven of heavens can’t contain you; how much less this house that I have built!”
“The LORD said to him, “I have heard your prayer and your supplication that you have made before me. I have made this house holy, which you have built, to put my name there forever; and my eyes and my heart shall be there perpetually.”