1 Kings 21 · a question people ask
Was Ahab's humbling real repentance?
The chapter gives what Ahab did: "he tore his clothes, put sackcloth on his body, fasted, lay in sackcloth, and went about despondently" (21:27). And it gives the LORD's own words about it, saying humbles twice: "See how Ahab humbles himself before me? Because he humbles himself before me, I will not bring the evil in his days" (21:29). The chapter uses the word humbles, not repents. In the next chapter, Ahab says of the LORD's prophet Micaiah, "I hate him, for he does not prophesy good concerning me, but evil" (22:8), and has him put in prison (22:27). Christians read Ahab's humbling in two main ways, each resting on its verses. Both agree that the LORD himself says Ahab humbled himself before him, and that the LORD answered it (21:29).
How Christians read it
Where Christians differ, Favor sets out the main views side by side and doesn't pick one.
Real, and answered
Those who read it this way start from the LORD's words. The LORD doesn't only note Ahab's humbling; he points it out to Elijah and says it twice (21:29). The verb is the one used of King Josiah, to whom the LORD says, "you humbled yourself before the LORD… and have torn your clothes and wept before me, I also have heard you" (2 Kings 22:19), and whose eyes "will not see all the evil which I will bring on this place" (2 Kings 22:20). On this reading Ahab's humbling was a true turning to the LORD in that hour, as the LORD's own answer shows, and what he did in the next chapter (22:8, 22:27) shows that it didn't last.
1 Kings 21:29 · 2 Kings 22:19-20 · 1 Kings 22:8 · 1 Kings 22:27
Humbled, not turned
Those who read it this way start from what the chapter says and doesn't say. Ahab humbled himself when he heard the word of judgment (21:27); the chapter doesn't say he turned from the idols it has just named (21:26), and in the next chapter he says of the LORD's prophet, "I hate him" (22:8). On this reading Ahab's humbling was a real bowing before the LORD's word, not a changed life, and the chapter shows the LORD answering even that (21:29).
1 Kings 21:26-29 · 1 Kings 22:8
The verses
“When Ahab heard those words, he tore his clothes, put sackcloth on his body, fasted, lay in sackcloth, and went about despondently. The LORD’s word came to Elijah the Tishbite, saying, “See how Ahab humbles himself before me? Because he humbles himself before me, I will not bring the evil in his days; but I will bring the evil on his house in his son’s day.””
“The king of Israel said to Jehoshaphat, “There is yet one man by whom we may inquire of the LORD, Micaiah the son of Imlah; but I hate him, for he does not prophesy good concerning me, but evil.” Jehoshaphat said, “Don’t let the king say so.””
“Say, ‘The king says, “Put this fellow in the prison, and feed him with bread of affliction and with water of affliction, until I come in peace.”’””