1 Kings 13 · a question people ask
Why was he told not to eat, drink, or go back the same way?
The chapter gives the command three times: in his answer to the king, "You shall eat no bread, drink no water, and don’t return by the way that you came" (13:9); in his answer to the old prophet, "You shall eat no bread or drink water there, and don’t turn again to go by the way that you came" (13:17); and in the LORD's word at the table, "Eat no bread, and drink no water" (13:22). It never gives the reason. It does tie the eating to the place: "neither would I eat bread nor drink water in this place" (13:8), "I will not eat bread or drink water with you in this place" (13:16), and "there" (13:17), with Bethel, the place of Jeroboam's altar (13:1). These notes don't guess further.
The verses
“The man of God said to the king, “Even if you gave me half of your house, I would not go in with you, neither would I eat bread nor drink water in this place; for so was it commanded me by the LORD’s word, saying, ‘You shall eat no bread, drink no water, and don’t return by the way that you came.’””
“He said, “I may not return with you, nor go in with you. I will not eat bread or drink water with you in this place. For it was said to me by the LORD’s word, ‘You shall eat no bread or drink water there, and don’t turn again to go by the way that you came.’””
“but came back, and have eaten bread and drank water in the place of which he said to you, “Eat no bread, and drink no water,” your body will not come to the tomb of your fathers.’””
“Behold, a man of God came out of Judah by the LORD’s word to Bethel; and Jeroboam was standing by the altar to burn incense.”