1 Kings 11 · a question people ask

Why was the kingdom torn from Solomon's son, and not from Solomon?

In the text

The chapter gives the LORD's own reason: "Nevertheless, I will not do it in your days, for David your father’s sake; but I will tear it out of your son’s hand" (11:12). Ahijah says it again: "I will make him prince all the days of his life for David my servant’s sake whom I chose, who kept my commandments and my statutes" (11:34), "but I will take the kingdom out of his son’s hand and will give it to you, even ten tribes" (11:35). Even the son is not left with nothing: "I will give one tribe to your son" (11:13). The next chapter tells how it came about. Rehoboam "answered the people roughly, and abandoned the counsel of the old men" (12:13), "for it was a thing brought about from the LORD, that he might establish his word, which the LORD spoke by Ahijah the Shilonite to Jeroboam the son of Nebat" (12:15). The chapter gives no other reason, and these notes don't add one.

The verses

“Nevertheless, I will not do it in your days, for David your father’s sake; but I will tear it out of your son’s hand. However, I will not tear away all the kingdom; but I will give one tribe to your son, for David my servant’s sake, and for Jerusalem’s sake which I have chosen.””
1 Kings 11:12-13 · World English Bible
““‘However, I will not take the whole kingdom out of his hand, but I will make him prince all the days of his life for David my servant’s sake whom I chose, who kept my commandments and my statutes, but I will take the kingdom out of his son’s hand and will give it to you, even ten tribes.”
1 Kings 11:34-35 · World English Bible
“The king answered the people roughly, and abandoned the counsel of the old men which they had given him, and spoke to them according to the counsel of the young men, saying, “My father made your yoke heavy, but I will add to your yoke. My father chastised you with whips, but I will chastise you with scorpions.” So the king didn’t listen to the people; for it was a thing brought about from the LORD, that he might establish his word, which the LORD spoke by Ahijah the Shilonite to Jeroboam the son of Nebat.”
1 Kings 12:13-15 · World English Bible

From Favor's study of 1 Kings 11

1 Kings 11: His heart turned away

The verb of "Solomon loved the LORD" (3:3) is the verb of "King Solomon loved many foreign women" (11:1), and the verb of his blessing, that the LORD "may incline our hearts to him" (8:58), is the verb of "his wives turned away his heart" (11:4). Even then the LORD kept one tribe "that David my servant may have a lamp always before me in Jerusalem" (11:36), and said, "but not forever" (11:39).

In Favor, questions like this come up right where they arise as you read, with the Hebrew and Greek behind the words and how the chapter leads to Jesus.

First week free, then $10 a month per person

More questions about 1 Kings 11

All questions about 1 Kings →

The best way to learn the Bible

Favor opens up every chapter as you read.

Favor is a Bible study app for your phone or computer. It takes you through the Bible one chapter at a time, a few minutes a day, and shows you what's really there: the words behind the words, the moments most people miss, and how the whole story fits together. For you. For everyone.

  • Every chapter explains itself

    As you read, short notes open up what's really going on, the details most readers walk past, and the honest questions people ask.

  • The Hebrew and Greek behind it

    Tap a highlighted word to see the original, how to say it, and what it means, checked against the original-language texts.

  • Every page leads to Jesus

    Watch promises made in Genesis kept in Jesus. Each line lights up on your map as you read.

  • Better together

    Read on your own, or start a Bible study with friends, family or your church. Answers stay sealed until you meet, then appear together.

  1. 1

    Start your free week

    Sign up in a minute with your email.

  2. 2

    Read a few minutes a day

    Each chapter opens itself up as you go. Tap what you're curious about.

  3. 3

    Bring your people, if you like

    Send one link. Everyone reads the same chapter, then meets to talk.

Start your free week

First week free, then $10 a month per person

Questions like this, in every chapter

The best way to learn the Bible. For you. For everyone.

There's a seat for you at the table.

Start your free week

First week free, then $10 a month per person · Log in

Scripture quotations are from the World English Bible, which is in the public domain. Every answer cites the verses it rests on. What we believe · All Bible questions