1 Corinthians 8 · a question people ask
"I will eat no meat forever more" (8:13). What is the letter's I saying here?
The verse speaks in the first person, and it says if: "Therefore, if food causes my brother to stumble, I will eat no meat forever more, that I don’t cause my brother to stumble." (8:13). To its readers the chapter has said, "But be careful that by no means does this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to the weak." (8:9). The chapter doesn't say whether food ever did cause a brother to stumble, and these notes apply 8:13 to no one and to no food today.
The verses
“Therefore, if food causes my brother to stumble, I will eat no meat forever more, that I don’t cause my brother to stumble.”
“But be careful that by no means does this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to the weak.”