1 Corinthians 3 · a question people ask
"as to fleshly, as to babies in Christ" (3:1). How can the letter call them fleshly and "in Christ" in the same verse?
The verse holds both: "Brothers, I couldn’t speak to you as to spiritual, but as to fleshly, as to babies in Christ." (3:1). The next verses give the letter's own reason for fleshly: "For insofar as there is jealousy, strife, and factions among you, aren’t you fleshly, and don’t you walk in the ways of men?" (3:3), and "For when one says, “I follow Paul,” and another, “I follow Apollos,” aren’t you fleshly?" (3:4). The letter doesn't say more here about what fleshly is than these verses do, and these notes don't either.
The verses
“Brothers, I couldn’t speak to you as to spiritual, but as to fleshly, as to babies in Christ. I fed you with milk, not with solid food, for you weren’t yet ready. Indeed, you aren’t ready even now, for you are still fleshly. For insofar as there is jealousy, strife, and factions among you, aren’t you fleshly, and don’t you walk in the ways of men? For when one says, “I follow Paul,” and another, “I follow Apollos,” aren’t you fleshly?”