1 Corinthians 16 · a question people ask
"Now concerning the collection for the saints" (16:1). What was it for?
The chapter calls it "the collection for the saints" (16:1) and "your gracious gift" (16:3). It says the gift is to be carried "to Jerusalem" by "whoever you approve", "with letters" (16:3), and "If it is appropriate for me to go also, they will go with me." (16:4). It says no more about the saints it is for, or why it is gathered, and these notes don't fill that in. They apply none of it to any giving today.
The verses
“Now concerning the collection for the saints: as I commanded the assemblies of Galatia, you do likewise.”
“When I arrive, I will send whoever you approve with letters to carry your gracious gift to Jerusalem. If it is appropriate for me to go also, they will go with me.”