1 Chronicles 22 · a question people ask

22:9 names the son Solomon. Is the promise of 22:10 about Solomon, or Jesus?

Interpretation

Here the son is named: "for his name shall be Solomon" (22:9), and "He shall build a house for my name; and he will be my son, and I will be his father; and I will establish the throne of his kingdom over Israel forever" (22:10). Chapter 17 gave the promise without a name (17:11-14). Hebrews takes the words 17:13 shares with 2 Samuel 7:14 for the Son: "I will be to him a Father, and he will be to me a Son" (Hebrews 1:5). Christians read how these fit together in two main ways, the same two 1 Chronicles 17's honest question sets out. Both agree that Hebrews speaks these words of the Son.

How Christians read it

Where Christians differ, Favor sets out the main views side by side and doesn't pick one.

Solomon first, and then Jesus

Those who read it this way take 22:10 as it stands: the son is Solomon, who will build the house (22:9-10), and at the end of the book "Solomon sat on the throne of the LORD as king instead of David his father" (1 Chronicles 29:23). On this reading the "forever" of 22:10 reaches past Solomon to Jesus, of whom Hebrews says, "I will be to him a Father, and he will be to me a Son" (Hebrews 1:5).

1 Chronicles 22:9-10 · 1 Chronicles 29:23 · Hebrews 1:5

David's line, kept in Jesus

Those who read it this way take the promise as reaching David's whole line, with Solomon named first: "I will establish the throne of his kingdom over Israel forever" (22:10). A psalm retells the promise this way: "I will establish your offspring forever, and build up your throne to all generations" (Psalm 89:4). On this reading the throne is the one Gabriel says Jesus will be given: "The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever" (Luke 1:32-33).

1 Chronicles 22:10 · Psalm 89:4 · Luke 1:32-33

The verses

“Behold, a son shall be born to you, who shall be a man of peace. I will give him rest from all his enemies all around; for his name shall be Solomon, and I will give peace and quietness to Israel in his days. He shall build a house for my name; and he will be my son, and I will be his father; and I will establish the throne of his kingdom over Israel forever.’”
1 Chronicles 22:9-10 · World English Bible
“It will happen, when your days are fulfilled that you must go to be with your fathers, that I will set up your offspring after you, who will be of your sons; and I will establish his kingdom. He will build me a house, and I will establish his throne forever. I will be his father, and he will be my son. I will not take my loving kindness away from him, as I took it from him who was before you; but I will settle him in my house and in my kingdom forever. His throne will be established forever.”’””
1 Chronicles 17:11-14 · World English Bible
“I will be his father, and he will be my son. If he commits iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men and with the stripes of the children of men;”
2 Samuel 7:14 · World English Bible
“For to which of the angels did he say at any time, “You are my Son. Today I have become your father?” and again, “I will be to him a Father, and he will be to me a Son?””
Hebrews 1:5 · World English Bible

From Favor's study of 1 Chronicles 22

1 Chronicles 22: Arise and be doing

Where the WEB has "a man of peace" (22:9), the Hebrew is ish menuchah, a man of rest. David, told he had "shed blood abundantly" (22:8), couldn't build the house, so he "prepared abundantly" (22:5) for his son, and the place already had its name: "This is the house of the LORD God" (22:1).

In Favor, questions like this come up right where they arise as you read, with the Hebrew and Greek behind the words and how the chapter leads to Jesus.

First week free, then $10 a month per person

More questions about 1 Chronicles 22

All questions about 1 Chronicles →

The best way to learn the Bible

Favor opens up every chapter as you read.

Favor is a Bible study app for your phone or computer. It takes you through the Bible one chapter at a time, a few minutes a day, and shows you what's really there: the words behind the words, the moments most people miss, and how the whole story fits together. For you. For everyone.

  • Every chapter explains itself

    As you read, short notes open up what's really going on, the details most readers walk past, and the honest questions people ask.

  • The Hebrew and Greek behind it

    Tap a highlighted word to see the original, how to say it, and what it means, checked against the original-language texts.

  • Every page leads to Jesus

    Watch promises made in Genesis kept in Jesus. Each line lights up on your map as you read.

  • Better together

    Read on your own, or start a Bible study with friends, family or your church. Answers stay sealed until you meet, then appear together.

  1. 1

    Start your free week

    Sign up in a minute with your email.

  2. 2

    Read a few minutes a day

    Each chapter opens itself up as you go. Tap what you're curious about.

  3. 3

    Bring your people, if you like

    Send one link. Everyone reads the same chapter, then meets to talk.

Start your free week

First week free, then $10 a month per person

Questions like this, in every chapter

The best way to learn the Bible. For you. For everyone.

There's a seat for you at the table.

Start your free week

First week free, then $10 a month per person · Log in

Scripture quotations are from the World English Bible, which is in the public domain. Every answer cites the verses it rests on. What we believe · All Bible questions