1 Chronicles 17 · a question people ask

Why doesn't 17:13 say, "If he commits iniquity"?

In the text

The chapter doesn't say, and this answer doesn't guess. 2 Samuel 7 has, "I will be his father, and he will be my son. If he commits iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men and with the stripes of the children of men" (2 Samuel 7:14), and then, "but my loving kindness will not depart from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I put away before you" (2 Samuel 7:15). 1 Chronicles 17 has, "I will be his father, and he will be my son. I will not take my loving kindness away from him, as I took it from him who was before you" (17:13). The words about iniquity, the rod and the stripes aren't there, and Saul isn't named. The book does have an "if" later, in David's words to the leaders of Israel, where he gives the LORD's words about Solomon: "I will establish his kingdom forever if he continues to do my commandments and my ordinances, as it is today" (1 Chronicles 28:7). The book doesn't link that verse to 17:13, and neither does this answer.

The verses

“I will be his father, and he will be my son. If he commits iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men and with the stripes of the children of men; but my loving kindness will not depart from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I put away before you.”
2 Samuel 7:14-15 · World English Bible
“I will be his father, and he will be my son. I will not take my loving kindness away from him, as I took it from him who was before you;”
1 Chronicles 17:13 · World English Bible
“Of all my sons (for the LORD has given me many sons), he has chosen Solomon my son to sit on the throne of the LORD’s kingdom over Israel. He said to me, ‘Solomon, your son, shall build my house and my courts; for I have chosen him to be my son, and I will be his father. I will establish his kingdom forever if he continues to do my commandments and my ordinances, as it is today.’”
1 Chronicles 28:5-7 · World English Bible

From Favor's study of 1 Chronicles 17

1 Chronicles 17: The LORD will build you a house

David was told he would not build God a house; the LORD would build David one (17:4, 17:10). In Chronicles the promise ends with the house and the kingdom called God's own: "I will settle him in my house and in my kingdom forever" (17:14), where 2 Samuel 7:16 has "Your house and your kingdom".

In Favor, questions like this come up right where they arise as you read, with the Hebrew and Greek behind the words and how the chapter leads to Jesus.

First week free, then $10 a month per person

More questions about 1 Chronicles 17

All questions about 1 Chronicles →

The best way to learn the Bible

Favor opens up every chapter as you read.

Favor is a Bible study app for your phone or computer. It takes you through the Bible one chapter at a time, a few minutes a day, and shows you what's really there: the words behind the words, the moments most people miss, and how the whole story fits together. For you. For everyone.

  • Every chapter explains itself

    As you read, short notes open up what's really going on, the details most readers walk past, and the honest questions people ask.

  • The Hebrew and Greek behind it

    Tap a highlighted word to see the original, how to say it, and what it means, checked against the original-language texts.

  • Every page leads to Jesus

    Watch promises made in Genesis kept in Jesus. Each line lights up on your map as you read.

  • Better together

    Read on your own, or start a Bible study with friends, family or your church. Answers stay sealed until you meet, then appear together.

  1. 1

    Start your free week

    Sign up in a minute with your email.

  2. 2

    Read a few minutes a day

    Each chapter opens itself up as you go. Tap what you're curious about.

  3. 3

    Bring your people, if you like

    Send one link. Everyone reads the same chapter, then meets to talk.

Start your free week

First week free, then $10 a month per person

Questions like this, in every chapter

The best way to learn the Bible. For you. For everyone.

There's a seat for you at the table.

Start your free week

First week free, then $10 a month per person · Log in

Scripture quotations are from the World English Bible, which is in the public domain. Every answer cites the verses it rests on. What we believe · All Bible questions